- About Us
Funeral Service began in 1889 when the Hagen Brothers opened their furniture store and supplied caskets to the families of the area. Sometime in 1902 the furniture store was sold to Slawson Mercantile Company. In 1921 Charles W. Kyle, a licensed embalmer, was hired by the Slawson Co. and acted on behalf of Slawson’s in providing funerals and arrangements for the community. In 1949 the Slawson Co. divested and sold the funeral business to Mr. Kyle.
Arvey Arnett was employed by the Kyle Funeral Home for two years before receiving his license in 1948 after attending the Worsham Mortuary School in Chicago, Illinois. He remained with Kyle Funeral Home until 1954 when he established the Arnett Funeral Home. The Hatton location was added in 1961 when Mr. Arnett bought it from Martin Olson. Arvey and his wife, Evy, ran the business until 1976 when James Bilden of Northwood joined the firm as a partner in 1976. James was a 1975 graduate of Worsham Mortuary College in Chicago. In 1986 James purchased the funeral home and the Arnett’s retired.
Tom Askew then became the new owner after purchasing the funeral home in late 2010. Tom and his son Patrick continue to provide compassionate and professional services to the families of Northwood, Hatton, and surrounding areas.